Friday, September 18, 2009

Alien Registration and National Health Insurance

Mmm. It has been a mixed bag since the last post. Let me start with the most interesting occurence.

Most of my plans for last night fell through. I ended up trying to get passport photos with a friend, Abby. She ended up leaving to get pictures taken while I went back to the dorm to get my SD card to print from a copy machine. When I got back, I ran into a lot of trouble trying to work the machine that my slight knowledge of the language could not help me overcome. An older woman, Elaine, came to my rescue...sort of. She helped bridge the communication gap, but I ended up with the wrong sized photo. She ended up talking to me outside after to try to help my situation (maybe?) Basically she told me that my picture was no good because I don't look like that anymore, so she told me that I should get a cheap razor (and told me where to get one a few times). She also assumed and asked if I was Jewish, and then invited me to call her to celebrate Rosh Hashana. To make sure I could do so she gave me a phone card, so I will likely call her soon (though I doubt I will go, I am rather tired now.) It was a rather surreal experience.

Afterwards I went back to the dorm and went with another friend, whose name I am not sure how to spell (Bathusi? Sorry if this is wrong and you read this! If you don't read this, I am less sorry!) to campus so she could use the 'net and I could get my photos. This plan failed (though I let her use my computer afterwards). I went back to the dorm and, looking sad, asked a Korean girl (I have learned better than to try to spell Korean names until I see them in either English or Hangul) for help. She eventually showed me to the booth. After this I just sort of hung out in the dining room/lounge and discussed music. It was pretty nice.

As for today, most of it was spent registering as an Alien and getting National Reduced Health Insurance (I only pay 30% if I get sick!) I actually didn't put the sound on my iPod, so I didn't have a working alarm -- my roommate woke me up (thanks Kim) at 7:30 when I had to go. We didn't get out until like, 1:00 or 1:30. It was awful. We went for food afterwards, where my meal (which was good) was delayed signficantly (I believe they forgot to make it). Pretty much the chefs just worked in like, any order they felt like. It was rather awkward.

The rest of the day was spent with Ghazal and Tobby. We travelled all over, to get electronics, to the Shinjuku Observatory, to Kinokuniya, to get Taiyuki, and back to the dorms. It was a lot of fun. The electronics store was a lot like I remembered the department/electronic stores from my last trip to Japan, and similar to those in Korea. Lots of stuff everywhere, cheap netbooks (about 10,000 Yen!!), lots of floors. The Observatory had an amazing view of everything, I will have to go back with a camera, so I won't describe it much. The Kinokuniya (there ARE chains in the US, I believe it is the same store) was enormous (like, 8 floors). It was interesting -- we just stayed no the foreign books floor, where I mainly looked at english grammar books (they are pretty funny and use outdated phrases). Finally we came back, got Taiyaki (fish-shaped, Adzuki bean filled, crispy bread). Overall I rather enjoyed the day -- a good note to start the new year!

I will probably call Elaine later today and explain the situation, and maybe give her my e-mail. I was hoping to bring a group to Rosh Hashana, but it just seems like it won't work at this point. There's also a party at 7 that would compete with this (I'm not sure I will go as I am rather tired). Anyway, TOV HASHANA EVERYONE!!! Eat some apples and honey for me.

(Edit on 9/22/09 at 12:04: Corrected a name)

1 comment: