Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ugh.

So, another mixed day. I registered for my optional class today (I still need to send all the permissions and things back to AU, but I will do that later. There are more pressing issues at hand) and got my new cell phone! Laur, Ben, and I went out to find out about them and eat some lunch -- cheap noodles. I accidently ordered an enormous bowl of them. They were good...but I got too much! I almost finished it, though. Afterwards Laur ran off and Ben and I went to another phone store, where I got mine. It is awesome. It has free streaming-TV, and can exchange contact info via infrared. Also it has an 8Mega-Pixel camera, which is 2MP better than Ben's camera-camera. Awesome.

On the flip side, I am now terrified to go out as I am low on money and cannot withdraw from any of the ATMs. I had this issue last time I was in Japan, too. I'm going to call the bank when they open in an hour or so and see if they can't help me, but I am uncertain they can. I also can't go to any banks as they are all closed until Thursday due to national holiday. Thankfully I have some USD, some Canadian dollars, and some Won so I can probably find a cash changer somewhere in Tokyo if I need to. I just hope that doesn't become my only option.

More bad news -- my loan application has been withdrawn as they have not received all of the necessary documents. This is pretty scary too, as I have no idea what I can do about it being out of the US. I may have to call the bank as well and see if something can't be done, otherwise I have to restart my loan application. Added to that the semester has started, and I was relying on that loan money to pay for my dorm here, this can be really awful. I will try to call my father and see what he thinks, but he is normally out on weekends so I may not be able to reach him.

I'm sure this will all turn out alright, but it is a rather scary place to be in. In the best of circumstances I will be able to clear all of this up in the next 3-5 hours. In the worst of circumstances I could have to return home, take the semester off, and be out tons of money.

On a side note -- the backing of my cell phone is broken and I will have to bring it in to the store.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully things will start looking up for you. I think they will. They always turn out. Good luck with your semester. I'll see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support, it means a lot.

    As an update to this post: I contacted home and my dad thinks he can take care of it. It seems the message from my bank was in error, but we'll see how it pans out.

    I think I know of an ATM that can work once my card is unfrozen (at 5 -- 7 hours from now). It's a bit far, but it's better than having no access.

    I'm going to try to take care of my phone later today. I have been practicing what I think I need to say in Japanese, but we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete